Dunluce Castle dates back to the 17th century and is situated along the north Antrim Coast. While there is evidence that parts of the castle date back to the 14th century, the first record of it is from 1513 when it belonged to the MacQuillans, and later again, the MacDonnells.
The 17th century mainland court contains domestic buildings leading downhill to the narrow crossing to the rock, formerly protected by a drawbridge to the Gatehouse.
The buildings on the rock are almost all from the 16th and 17th centuries. Earthworks to the west of the castle are remains of the long-deserted town whose ruined church stands in the graveyard south of the castle, separated from it by the Coast Road.